REFERENCES : Everybody Reads Grant Proposal
Charles Arthur, Teacher/Administrator
1. 1998 American Community Survey (ACS) Profile -- Multnomah
County, OR www.census.gov/acs/www/
2. Catherine E. Snow, M. Susan Burns, and Peg Griffin, (Eds.) 1998, Preventing Reading Difficulties in Young Children. National Academy Press, Washington DC.
3. 1998 National Institute for Literacy Fact Sheet
4. U.S. Department of Labor: Bureau of Labor Statistics, Silvestri, G.T. (1997). Occupational Employment Projections to 2006. Monthly Labor Review, November 1997, Table 3, p.77.
5. Rogers, Joel & Teixeira, Ruy (2000) "America's Forgotten Majority", The Atlantic Monthly, June 2000 p. 66
6. Cited by E.D. Hirsch Jr. in "The Test We Need, And why we don't have them." Education Week, February 2, 2000.
7. Kamineenu, E. J. and Carnine, D. W. (1998) Effective Teaching Strategies That Accommodate Diverse Learners. Merrill Pub.
8. Oregon Department of Education, attention: Bob Jones
9. Fletcher and Lyon, 1998. Cited in Moats, Louisa C. 1999, Teaching Reading IS Rocket Science, American Federation of Teachers
10. Adams, Marilyn J. (1994) "The Progress of the Whole-Language Debate" Educational Psychologist, 29(4), 217-222.
Adams, Marilyn J. (1998) "The Three-Cueing System". In Literacy for All: Issues in Teaching and Learning. Jean Osborn and Fran Lehr (Eds.)
11. Grossen, B. (1996) "Thirty Years of NICHD Research: What We Now Know About How Children Learn to Read", Effective School Practices, 15(3), Summer.
12. Lyon, Reid (1999) "Dyslexia and The New Science of Reading," p. 77, Newsweek, November, 22, 1999.
13. Moats, Louisa C. and Hall, Susan L. (1999) Straight Talk About Reading. How Parents Can Make a Difference During the Early Years. Published by Contemporary Books.
14. Lyon, Reid, (1999) "Overview of Reading Disabilities" statement made before the Committee on Labor and Human Resources, Washington DC, April 28, 1998.
15. Adams, Marilyn J. (1990) Beginning To Read: Thinking and Learning about Print. The MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
16. Moats, Louisa C. and Foorman, Barbara R. (1997) "Introduction to Special Issue of SSR: Components of Effective Reading Instruction" Scientific Studies of Reading, Vol. 1, Number 3, 1997.
17. Share, David L. and Stanovich, Keith E. (1995) "Cognitive Processes In Early Reading Development: Accomodating Individual Differences into a Model of Acquisition," Issues In Education: Contributions from Educational Psychology, Vol. 1, Number 1.
18. Ehri, Leanna, (1997) "Sight Word Learning in Normal Readers and Dyslexics" In Foundations of Reading Acquisition and Dyslexia, Implications for Early Intervention, Benita Blachman, editor, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
19. Engelmann, Siegfried, (1997) "Theory of Mastery and Acceleration" In Issues in Educating Students With Disabilities, John W. Lloyd, Edward J. Kameenui, and David Chard, (Eds.) Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah, New Jersey.
20. Adams, Marilyn J. (1996) "Are Decoding and Literature-Based Reading Programs Incompatible?" In How to Become a Better Reading Teacher, L. R. Putnam. (ed.)
21. Stanovich, Keith, (1991) "Word Recognition: Changing Perspectives," In Handbook of Reading Research, Vol. II, Rebecca Barr, Michael Kamil, Peter Mosenthal and P. David Pearson, Longman, Publishers.
22. Blachman, Benita (1997) Early Intervention and Phonological Awareness: A Cautionary Tale. In Foundations of Reading Acquisition and Dyslexia; Implications for Early Intervention. Chapters based on presentations made at the conference, "Cognitive and Linguistic Foundations of Reading Acquisition: Implications for Intervention Research" sponsored by the National Dyslexia Research Foundation held in Kauai, Hawaii, May 27, 1995
23. Bonnie Grosen (1998) Researach Base for Reading Mastery, SRA
24. The American Institutes for Research (AIR), (1999) An Educator's Guide to School wide Reform, http://www.org/reform/intro.htm
25. Adams, Gary L. & Engelmann, S. (1996) Research on Direct Instruction: 25 Years Beyond DISTAR