Jan's 1948 Cadillac Sedanet
Jan's 1948 Cadillac Sedanet, or Model 6207, also called a Club Coupe, left the Cadillac assembly line on May 4th, 1948, headed for the Chicago Showroom Floor. The original "Grand Total" on the invoice was $2398.11. Who knows what stories this car might tell, what places it's been? In any event, it was owned in the 1960s by a Mr. Blankenship and ended up in the Arizona desert, where it sat in the blazing sun for a little over thirty years before Jan bought it from an eccentric collector named Al Brander and had it hauled up to Portland. Naturally Jan's a member of the Cadillac - La Salle Club and the car has historic 1948 Oregon plates. The original 346-cu. in. engine and Hydramatic transmission have been rebuilt, the interior has been beautifully re-done and the car runs like a dream.
The rebuild and restoration team:
The 1948 Cadillac is considered by many people to be the pinnacle of Cadillac styling, and is a "Certified Milestone Car."
Jan certainly thinks it's the most beautiful car ever to come out of Detroit. It was the first all-new design for the
marque since the wartime years, and incorporated "rudder-type" tailfins for the first time, in what was to become a hallmark feature
of Cadillacs for the next twelve years, reaching its zenith with the 1959 models and then disappearing entirely in two years.
General Motors design chief Harley Earl gets a lot of credit, but the design was really
Franklin Q. Hershey's baby, designed on Hershey's farm during a labour dispute.
Both Harley Earl and Franklin Q. Hershey had seen the revolutionary P-38 Lightning which legendary
Lockheed engineers Kelly Johnson and Hall Hibbard had designed just before the war, and which inspired so
many design features in the Cadillac -- not least of which was the "drum-type" housing of the instrument panel, which looked a lot like
the display on a fighter; it was a bit expensive to produce, and thus appeared only on the 1948 models. The principal stylistic innovation
was the single flowing visual line from front to back -- also inspired by the P-38. It also had those boob-like bumper protrusions which
came to be known as "Dagmars," named after an early television celebrity ( photo ). For a really excellent article
on the history of the 1948 Cadillac, click here . If you're a real
Cadillac nut, you must check out The Cadillac Database© .
Return to Flying Heart home page
Return to Dot-zilla
last updated May 23rd, 2013 by Jan Chciuk-Celt